Saturday, July 26, 2008

Seeds, seeds, seeds

I bought my seeds yesterday, but no tomato plants. I was told that I can get those August 1st at Cornelius, a local plant nursery. I am going to start some of my seeds in home made self -watering containers made from milk containers. Cheap and easy. You need a milk jug or carton, florist foam (the kind that holds water), and scissors. Cut them as shown. I cut the carton shorter or it would be too deep. Push the spouts into the foam to create a plug. This is how the water will wick to keep the soil moist. Fill the base reservoir with water, enough to reach slightly above the foam plug. Fill container with dirt, plant your seeds, and sprinkle with water to moisten. Make sure all of the soil is moist.
.

Check water levels daily in reservoirs daily. Never let soil dry out or you will need to add some water from the top to restart the wicking.

No comments:

Pageviews