Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Saffron bulbs /Paella

A few months ago I ordered Saffron bulbs (saffron crocus) and they just arrived. I am going to try to grow some myself and share a few with my father (this man can grow anything....really, he can take a twig, stick it in the ground and in a few weeks he will have a tree, ya, no kidding).
Anywho, I think it needs to be a container plant (how convenient) because you are not supposed to water or fertilize it at all during the summer months. It is a fall blooming crocus. I better get planting.

Saffron is one of the worlds most expensive spices by weight. Not to mention a pretty bloom. Saffron is hand harvested and hand dried. Each flower has three red stigmas which are used as spice and a coloring agent (this is what gives the Paella its distinctive taste and yellow color to the rice).
This is a saffron crocus bloom with it's little red valuable stigmas. Hmmm and all this time I thought a stigma was a severe social disapproval of personal characteristics or beliefs that are against cultural norms. Whew, all that with out exhaling.

I am from Spain so naturally I need Saffron to cook Paella. Paella is Spain's national dish. Of course it is because it is soooooooo yummy. Paella is a dish made in a special shallow pan with white short grain rice, usually Bomba or Calasparra. My family likes to add chicken, shrimp, muscles, chorizo, a few peas for color, artichoke hearts (not traditional, but we like them),roasted piquillo peppers, saffron, smoked Spanish paprika, chicken broth, olive oil, etc. When I make a large pan I cook it outside on an open flame on a special gas burner. I make a small pan inside on my gas stove. Open flame is best but it can be made in the oven with the door open. That is just too hot for me! .


This is a small quick Paella I made recently. I can email you the recipe if you leave a comment.

Click the banner below to get all the supplies and special ingredients you need.



No comments:

Pageviews